This is a direct copy (with their permission) from homospun.wordpress.com ‘s safer spaces guidelines, thank you Homospun for all that you do and for writing these so succinctly. : ) We’ll be at your next dance!!!
Like Homospun, Queerposium is working to create safer, anti-oppressive spaces.
Please be mindful of the following guidelines while you participate in our events:
- Respect your own physical, mental and emotional boundaries
- Please communicate your needs and speak up if you are uncomfortable
- Remember you are welcome to take space away if you need time alone/away/quiet
- Respect the physical, mental and emotional boundaries of others – ask for consent before engaging in physical contact
- Avoid making assumptions about the identity, experiences, and/or histories of other people
- Respect the confidentiality of information and narratives shared with you
- Remember, everyone makes mistakes
- Try to speak with “I” statements and avoid personal attacks when communicating with others about mistakes they made
- Assume that others are acting and speaking from a place of positive intent
- Be aware of the impacts of your own behaviour and take responsibility for what you say and do
- Be open to being approached and talked with if you make a mistake
- Remember that we are gathered to share an open and engaging environment